Sunday, March 04, 2007

Contact MeMe Roth

Bill O' Reilly & Wedding Gown Challenge 2007 ?? - Friday August 3

A year ago I would have laughed at any comparison between myself and cable-news-mega-star Bill O’Reilly. He’s 6’ 4”. I’m 5’ 6”. He’s a Yank. I’m all Dixie. He calls himself a Patriot…and calls me a “Fascist.” (Rumor is we both claim to be Independent…)

But whether you agree with his every utterance or recoil, there’s one thing we all can admire about Bill O’Reilly: The guy keeps himself in shape. Recently, he told me his waistline is the same size as in college. Now that’s more than just something to boast about at Homecoming. Study after study tells us that our waist size is a key indicator of our health. Check yours: Your waist size should be no greater than HALF your height.

Think Metabolic Syndrome. Metabolic Syndrome may affect up to 75 million Americans. Big Pharma estimates the market could grow as big as $18 Billion annually according to WIRED magazine. Metabolic Syndrome is the confluence of high blood pressure, high triglycerides, high blood sugar, low HDL (good cholesterol) and major mid-section girth. These are key factors linked to type II diabetes, heart disease, and stroke, among other life-threatening maladies.

Most Americans don’t consider their college weight to be a lifetime benchmark, but it is. Studies show that gaining merely 10-20 pounds once you’re fully-grown materially increases your chances of premature death. Again, 10-20 pounds. How many of us pat ourselves on the back for having gained only that much since our twenties?

The facts are stark. Once you’re full-grown, your clothes should go out of style, not out of size. Most of us should be able to show up to themed parties dressed in all our ruffled high school prom or wedding regalia. But in a nation where the majority is overweight, few could.

Annually, I invite all women to gather with their girlfriends, pull their wedding gowns from storage, and put them back on. The big laughs should come from the dated styles, not busted zippers.

And for the Wedding Gown Challenge, the wedding gown is symbolic of a time in a woman’s life when she’s entered into adulthood at a healthy weight, and intends to maintain that weight for a lifetime. Your wedding ceremony may have been Catholic, Cosmic or Common Law. You may have donned puffy whites or a scuba suit. The Wedding Gown Challenge message is to maintain a healthy weight for a lifetime. And that’s true too for whomever wore the tux.

Friday, August 3, 2007, gather your friends. Grab your prom dress, dinner jacket or wedding gown, and make sure they still fit. If you have none of the above, take the tape measurer to your belly. Like Bill O’Reilly, make sure it’s the same size as when you were twenty.

Who’s on the A-list for belly boasting? And whom are we missing?

Bill O’Reilly
Dr. Mehmet Oz
Yoko Ono
Gloria Steinem
David Lee Roth
Madonna
Demi Moore
Denise Austin
Jack LaLanne
David Duchovny
Dennis Quaid
Mike Adams
Steven Tyler
Bruce Jenner

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great blog and great article.

6:05 AM  
Blogger Irving M said...

*sigh*

Keeps strong Meme... your work is like an intervention, in which half the people involved ARE part of the problem.

7:59 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What hypocrites! You slam this woman for her tactics, and then use words like "ugly" and "bitch" to describe her. If all of you writing hate posts in this blog put as much energy into taking care of yourselves as you do defending your obesity and lack of self-respect, Ms. Roth would have nothing to write about.

12:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone in this thread wished Meme Roth's kids would die of cancer. Way to advance the agenda that fat people are healthy, happy and well adjusted. Put down the donuts and get help.

12:20 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Zing!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I support you meme, i myself is overweight and trying to loose the weight. i know how difficult it is to loose weight.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Mommer said...

I am 30-35 pounds overweight. I'm a good cook, and I enjoy food. I also have fabulous blood pressure, great cholesterol numbers, my blood sugar levels are just fine, and my endurance and flexibility are significantly better than they were even in high school (when I had a BMI of 20). I've completed two marathons, a half-marathon, and four 5K races -- all at weights that would be considered above my ideal BMI. There's a lot more to health than the number on the scale.

Now if I, like Demi Moore, had a personal trainer, a personal chef, and childcare whenever I wanted it, I wouldn't mind looking like her character in G.I. Jane. But with the time and money I've got, this works for me.

I think about how I felt about myself as a 125-pound self-hating bulimic college student ... and then I think about how I felt when I (and my wobbly tummy and pudgy hips) got my first marathon finisher's medal. I'd take the second feeling any day of the week.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Amy said...

Meme,
I think you have a valid message.
I see the logic behind your message. It can be seen on cable tv every day. Buff Brides getting in shape for the one day! They all are motivated when there is a goal date is within reach. Most weddings are planned a year in advance. You have long term planners and you have procrastinators. The long term planner will say, I can give up a few cookies, cakes, chips or what ever over the long hall and not even miss it. It then becomes such a habit that it is a way of life. They will stay at a heathy weight with little effort. The procrastinator says I can do it in 6 weeks. This would be the yo-yo dieter, who will do anything short term. Eating disorders develop, binging, purging and anorexia. Any thing for the next quick fix. This is unhealthy. If we change our thinking and make every anniversary like our wedding day (or some other anniversary) , we keep the original goal. Realize that a few hundred calories either not being eaten or burned through exercise can make or break your weight loss efforts.
A lot of the blogs are very angry people who resent you for pointing out the obvious. I don’t know a single overweight person who truly loves their size. They may accept that they are overweight, and be ok with shopping at plus size stores, but truly love their weight, no. It is easier for them to give up on themselves then to get up for themselves. It is easier to bash thin people. Resenting them, envying them, calling them mean hurtful names. Get up off the couch, put down that cookie. Do it for yourself, do it for your children, do it for your life. Yes there are thin people who have health issues. You have overweight people without health issues. No matter which you are live your life to the fullest. And if you are overweight, don’t lie to yourself and say it is alright. If you chose to stay at your current weight, please do not buy into the marketing. Don’t buy fat free, sugar free or fake foods. You are trying to fool yourself. Your brain is smarter than that.
I am taking your message to heart. I am overweight. I have great vital signs. I wear a 10/12. I can use a cope out, saying it could be worse, I could be bigger. But I expect more from myself. I am taking control of my life. I want a better life for me.
Thank you for having the bravery to bring the crisis to the forefront. I respect that.
For the others that do not appreciate your honesty, let me remind them of the multi-billion dollar weight loss industry. They have a vested interest in keeping Americans overweight. You chose. Fit or Fat.

10:44 PM  
Blogger Pissed OFF Housewife said...

Okay, I'd love that list if you ran a strike through every name that had obvious surgery (it would get a lot shorter).

What about those of us who dieted for their weddings? I was a size 4 for 10 years, slimmed to a small 2 for the wedding and NEVER hope to starve like that again.

I think 4 is do-able though, I'm 5'6" and thirty *cough* years old. Right now at a size 6 I could melt a few away....

5:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love it when people say how healthy and fit and active they are, but are still fat. Why bother, then? If I'm going to be fat, let me enjoy my fave foods and lack of activity. If I'm going to watch what I eat and work myself out, and I'm still fat, I would be very pi**ed. Oh, and Meme, how about a new post?

6:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are underweight, but then you are going to say that you have a healty BMI. But since they lowerd the BMI of owerweight from 27 to 25 making 37 million americans overweight over night, this dispite the fact that we are taller and have more muscelmass, wich weigh more than fat, and raised the BMI for underweight You my dear are underweight. This And by being underweight you have shortend your life the same amount as a seriously obese person.

And the reason for lowering BMI was made possible by the fact of a little paper from Hoffman-La Roche the makers of Xenical, the same people who probably pay your salery.

Not to be crued, but the fact that your life is shortend by your underweight, isn't a big lose for the humen kind. But it will probably be a big loss to the morons of the world.

7:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually by being underweight she's increased her chances of a heart attack by SEVENTY-FOUR percent above that of an "overweight" (according to BMI) person. In fact, the overweight category (not obese) was found to live the longest and have the fewest serious diseases, while the underweight and normal were found to have the most deaths of all, and the most illnesses. Makes you wonder why instead of lowering the BMI they shouldn't have RAISED it instead, since what is now considered overweight is in fact the healthiest and longest lived. Meme most certainly is a grave danger to her own health, not to mention either OCD or maybe even downright anorexic. Which is fine, if she weren't pushing her agenda on the rest of the world, and trying to kill us ALL the same way. Or to take our children from us if they too aren't anorexic. Disgusting, really.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Fat Bastardo said...

Metabolic syndrome is a myth. It is a way for MDs to salve the old style fat accepters.

For a skinny woman MeMe is a hottie but she needs to stop by Bigger Fatter Blog so that she can meet my blog partner Proud FA, feederism's philosopher king, for a good feed session.

Proud FA's motto is "Have Food Will Travel

12:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home